Thursday, December 30, 2010

Travel Games



One of my favorite things about traveling is finding new things during all the time I spent running around the tiny North African country of Tunisia I found two new ways to keep myself amused while traveling. I recommend these travel games for anyone who is about to embark on a journey by louage (long distance taxi) around Tunisia.
Where's the President
Unlike Waldo you can't miss this guy even if you are trying. I don't know the name of the President but I could pick him out of a line up. There are posters and pictures of him everywhere, from the small signs and pennants outside of shops to the overly large ostentatious ones hanging off of buildings in Tunis. They are ubiquitous. And for some reason that I just can't quite name he is always showing off the sleeve of his suit. I don't know whether it's a subtle statement saying either "look no tricks up here" or "wait till you see what I have up my sleeve next" or he just thought it was a cool pose. Either way it's a fun game to play on a road trip through Tunisia or even on a stroll through town. See how many you can get. My highest, 63 on the trip between Le Kef and Mahdia.




The License Plate Game
Alright I know everyone plays some version of this game in America but this is a new twist. See Tunisian license plates go something like this: two numbers signifying how old it is (note this doesn't represent the year made) with 140 being new and 30 being old, then there is the name of the town to which it is registered and then another set of numbers. It's the first two numbers you want to pay attention to. The game is how low can you go. We had hours of entertainment trying to find really old cars- the oldest looking bunch being the old tan Peugeot work trucks that are ubiquitous in small towns. Some looked way older than their number would indicate so I'm guessing someone is swapping plates somewhere but who knows why. The lowest I got was a 31 and Jess won with an 11 that she spotted after I left. Still waiting on that picture because it seems too incredible to believe.












*Since the recent political changes it looks like the "Spot the President" game won't be as easy to play.



No comments: