Sunday, August 1, 2010

New Roof

I've had to get used to a lot of things that I find strange.  Some of them are out of left field:  livestock licking the dirty dishes, chickens tied in a bunch to the side of a car, goats tied to the rack on a bicycle, sides of beef hanging off the roof rack of an SUV.  (I'm noticing a pattern of ways to transport animals).  Then there are the things that are fundametally at odds with my cultrually orientated world view.  Things I don't necessarily agree with.  Like the 70 year old men bringing their 14 year old wives and new babies to the health center (more than once I've had to stop myself from saying, "awww is grandpa helping you out today!"), children getting beat at school, teachers smoking in class, little girls carrying their younger siblings on their backs and almost falling over, children playing with knives and other sharp objects (very large sharp objects).

Some things I barely notice anymore, like goats tied to cars (unless the goat is screaming).  Other things I speak up about by putting on my grumpy face and telling women they need to get the knife out of their toddler's reach.  Still others I choose to not buck the system, its not my battle, its not my life. 

Suffice it to say, Africa has changed what I view as normal.  Sometimes my judgement of things is a little suspect.  Of course anyone traeling in a car crammed with 13 people can be said to be lacking in the good judgement department.  So when I moved into my hut I suspected my roof wasn't in stellar condition but I figured it was fine for the time being.  Even though I have been known to complain about the animals and straw falling down but thats just normal frustration with living under a roof that could feed a cow for a week.  So I wasn't concerned until PC staff and some villagers commented on how bad my roof looked.  OK so lets get it fixed but no worries.  It wasn't keeping me up at night thinking it was going to come tumbling down.  Then finally my friend said, "man you're brave I wouldn't sleep in there.  I'd be too afraid things would fall on my head."
Hmmm guess I made a bad call.
I finally got serious in my efforts to get a new roof and here's how they do it:

Sorry I left my SD card in America so pictures are not forth coming lets just say they collapsed my roof in on my hut and then made the new one in the courtyard.  It required 20+ men to lift the new roof onto my hut.  Always something new to learn.

No comments: