Thursday, July 2, 2009

This is how we wash our hands

Ever since coming home from in service training i've felt like a loser of a volunteer. To feel like I was doing something I volunteered to teach french for the 7 and 8 grade. It was only 2 weeks till the end of the year (Thank goodness!). I'll just say these kids have a really lackluster education and its not all my fault and teens everywhere know everything.
So to keep the work going after school was finished I organized a hand washing demo for the little kids one evening at the local pharmacy. I cut up big bars of soap into kid size bars as cadeaux, invited moms, learned songs, and all that. So I had some kids show up but my translator leaves so i'm entertaining a pack of petits singing Feist 1,2,3,4 and queen boom boom clap we will rock you but then they leave and my translator comes back. Its a mess but 2 hours late the moms show up with kids and we're in business. I sing and jump about so do the kids, i was their hands, we do why its important to wash our hands and tell the moms its cheaper to buy soap than meds. Its good, its done. . . . or so i think. The moms see their kids entertained and not bugging them and so they command i keep singing and so we keep singing. We must have done the handwashing songs 20 times the kids kept going. Then i had to change it up with skidamarinky dink, hokey pokey, and the chicken dance. Did i mention this was outside on main street which is also a major travel route. Yup.
Best part was the next day after school one girl stops to use the neighbors out house and she brings out her little bar of soap. One kid got the message.

No comments: